Disclosure: This year I am serving as a Brand Ambassador for the Arkansas Soybean Promotion Board which means I will be sharing the #ARSoyStory, all things Arkansas Soybeans as well as highlighting the partner restaurants for the #Kitchen|FieldsTableTour 2018. All opinions are my own.
Get Shiny, Healthy Hair with a Deep Conditioning Soybean Oil Hair Treatment in the comfort of your own home with an ingredient in your kitchen.
I’ve been deep conditioning my hair with coconut oil and olive oil for years. I skip expensive conditioning brands and go the ingredients right in my kitchen. This time I reached for soybean oil. Check the label of your vegetable oil and make sure it is 100% soybean oil.
I’ll admit right here and now that I am not a conventional cook so I didn’t know that vegetable oil was soybean oil. I don’t cook with oil often.
Imagine me in the grocery store staring at the different oils asking myself, “Where’s the soybean oil?” I finally picked up the vegetable oil to find the only ingredient was soybean oil. Am I the only person who didn’t know this?
Getting back to point of treating our hair with soybean oil– my philosophy is, “If I can eat it then I can use it on my body.” And it turns out that soybean oil has many benefits and properties to condition and enhance our locks.
- Soybean oil absorbs into the hair shaft quickly without leaving a residue after washing and promotes moisture retention.
- The conditioning treatments smooth the hair cuticles and may give hair a shinier appearance.
- The essential fatty acids found in soybean oil boosts moisture retention in hair and that means your hair will look shiny and overall healthier.
- Soybean oil is loaded with carbohydrates, protein, manganese, vitamin K, and lipids to help your hair products penetrate better.
- I haven’t confirmed this but I read that soybean oil aids in hair growth. I am searching for answers regarding this. Know of a study? Please let me know in the comments.
I purchased a 32-ounce bottle soybean oil (vegetable oil) at Kroger for $1.59 and used about $0.03 worth on my short, baby-fine hair. On top of all of the benefits, this treatment is a bargain and a sustainable, eco friendly choice.
I heated 3 ounces of soybean oil in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and applied to my hair and scalp with my fingers. Once my hair was saturated, I ran a comb through my hair to ensure that I coated every strand in soybean oil.
The next step is to apply a shower cap and wait 30 minutes to an hour. The timing does not need to be exact. If you don’t have a shower cap, wrap your hair with plastic wrap, big plastic baggie or a plastic grocery bag. This ensures your body heat helps in the moisturizing process and push that soybean oil goodness into the hair shaft.
Once the time is up, wash your hair. I shampooed my hair three times to ensure it wasn’t going to be greasy, but I think I could have only shampooed it once. I’ll keep experimenting with this step.
My results were surprising. My hair felt amazing. It was soft, shiny and manageable. Many times when I had used coconut oil or olive oil, my hair looked limp and stringy but it was shiny.
The verdict: I love the soybean oil as a deep conditioning hair treatment and will be using it.
Deep Conditioning Soybean Oil Hair Treatment
- 3-5 ounces of Soybean Oil heated 10-15 seconds in the microwave (make sure it isn’t too hot before applying it to your hair and scalp)
- Apply soybean oil to hair and scalp.
- cover hair with a shower cap or plastic wrap
- Wait 30 minutes to an hour
- Rinse, shampoo, condition, and style as normal
Soybeans are used in food, cosmetics, skincare, and industrial products. It indeed is the miracle bean. Look for soybean oil vegetable oil.
Soybeans are the largest row crop in Arkansas. In 2016, 3.1 million acres of soybeans produced 146 million bushels of valued at $1.5 billion. And I see these beautiful beans grown right in my backyard.
I had no idea how much I would enjoy using Soybean oil to condition my hair and I look forward to finding more uses to share with you.
When you use a conditioning soybean oil hair treatment, take a selfie and use the hashtag #ARSoyStory to share with Arkansas Soybean Producers how you are using their miracle bean.
Have you ever used soybean oil in your hair? If you make it, let me know how you liked it.