Hotel Lobby Attire at Breakfast: An Observation

Traveling inspires me. My grandfather once told me my middle name should be “go”, because well…I love being on the go and exploring new places. Always have.

My travels lead me to many hotel stays. So many hotel stays that we are diamond level Hilton Honors members…basically it means I stay at hotels a lot.

Hotel lobbies in the morning make for prime people watching. Almost as good as airport people watching. Before I continue, I preface this post with a statement that my words come from observation and non-judgement.

So, when you stay at a hotel and eat breakfast in the lobby breakfast area, do you dress for the occasion or do you roll out of bed in your sleepwear, bed head, sheet-creased-face and socked feet?

I’ll admit, I have done both. When I’m in a town where I don’t know a soul, I have rationalized the “these Scooby Doo pajama pants are pants” and “no one cares what my hair looks like” approach. Ya know, I treat that place like it’s my home.

And I relish the sights of families gathering for breakfast straight from bed. I really do. It makes me smile.

This morning I observed a little boy demanding pancakes in his red and green christmas plaid fleece pj pants, flip flops, lopsided hair and orange shirt worn inside out. The entire family was in the hotel lobby in their pajamas. One member was barefoot.

As I’ve aged (or spent more time in hotels), I’ve changed. My sleepwear has evolved to black yoga pants and longsleeve shirt. I throw on a long comfy knit jacket if I leave my room and no one knows I’m wearing my PJs.

On the opposite side, I’m certain there are people who swear one must be ready for the day before setting foot outside their room. That’s cool. (I’ve done this as well.)

Pajamas in public, pjs in public sleepwear in public, hotel lobby attire

Photo credit goes to @djazzo

So for the pajama-wearing-hotel-lobby-breakfast diners, please continue. I have no idea who you are (not that it would matter). Go on with your bad selves. Start your day with the most important meal dressed as you are.

Do you wear your pajamas to hotel lobby breakfasts?

13 comments

• Delta Moxie says:

Heidiannewhite, we are on the same page. However, for fun, try the full-force Pj attire sometime and let me know how it goes. Don’t even touch your hair with a brush. Personally, I would wear some kind of footwear. In the meantime have fun observing. Thanks for your comment!!!

1. Alice Cox says:

I still do my hair and makeup! Too old not to. But your words are ones I believe to since I am in a hotel 11 months out of the year. This was what I was actually thinking this morning.

• Delta Moxie says:

Oh, Alice Cox (aka my mom, y’all), I bet you see lots of great stuff!! Interesting. I’ve been known to wear a hat over my bed head. But definitely have passed on the make up. Thanks for reading my blog and leaving a comment, Mom!!! ❤️❤️❤️

2. Cat says:

Hotel lobbies area a lot of fun! I am not a big breakfast person so I don’t usually eat breakfast, I more often pass through on my way to where I have to be and grab something that grabs my eye.I love opportunities to participate in the happy hour at night. I am not a morning person!

3. Delta Moxie says:

Cat, aren’t they? You won’t believe this, but I haven’t participated in the happy hours. I’m totally adding that to my Must Do list! I’m more of a morning person, but have stayed up late once or twice.

4. Jodee Weiland says:

I can’t say I’ve gone down to breakfast in PJ’s, but I have done leggings, a long top, and a jacket. Top that off with a baseball cap, if needed, and I’m good to go. Vacations are for relaxing…I like your way of thinking! By the way, we always stay with Hilton through same program…we’re elite members, too! Travel is wonderful!

• Delta Moxie says:

Jodee, Merry Christmas to you, sweet friend! We are on the same page regarding the breakfasting in Pj’s. Vacations are for relaxing and who am I to judge people’s attire? Yay, Hilton Honors! I have really enjoyed the new Hampton Inns. Thank so much for your comment! Are you looking at attending any blogging conferences this year?

5. The Park Wife says:

I Just can’t do it, my grandmother would be flipping in her grave if I wore PJs in public. Now, I have done the yoga pants, cute shirt or sweater, with earrings of course. But, to all that do it, go for it. Relax and enjoy while at the hotel. Oh, but please get dressed before you go to Walmart.

• Delta Moxie says:

Oh my stars…The Park Wife commented on my blog! ^^^^ Hey, The Park Wife, we are on the same page regarding the Pjs in the hotel. Be relaxed and enjoy. I’d give bonus points to those that throw a statement necklace on with their Pjs. Yes, please get dressed before going to Walmart. Sometimes I make up stories for people who wear Pjs to Walmart. I consider they were just discharged from the hospital and are having to pick up a prescription from the pharmacy. They are on their own and no one else can do that for them. They barely have the energy to move let alone put clothes on. (or some scenario like that.) I hope are having a stellar Christmas! Much love and warm hugs!

6. Adrienne Gilbreath says:

OK, Bart is like a Hilton gold member, so I know how much you stay in hotels! 🙂

I don’t think I’ve ever gone into the lobby in my pjs. I have gone down several times with wet hair and no makeup though. Of course I usually take my food upstairs when I do that.

Of course, I can’t go to Walmart in my pjs either though. I just can’t do it.

• Delta Moxie says:

Adrienne, Merry Christmas! Yay, hotel living! I once stayed at the Doubletree in El Paso for 13 days straight. Truth. I knew everyone. Employees introduced me to people they were interviewing. Reflecting on that, I’m missing them. I’ve done what you have done. I like to take my food back to my room as well…however, I have enjoyed my new source of entertainment of Pj watching over a hot cup of tea. Regarding Pjs in Walmart, read my comment to The Park Wife. I make up desperate scenarios of why a person would be in Walmart with their Guitar Hero Pjs. Hope you are having a great day!

Comments are closed.