There are two things in abundance here in the Delta that no one will argue: The abundance of mosquitoes and pigweed.
Pigweed , or Amaranth, is resistant to herbicides and can grow at breakneck speeds while producing thousands of seeds from one plant.
The Delta’s biggest industry is agriculture and a farmer’s biggest menace seems to be Amaranth/Pigweed.
Not only is pigweed a farmer’s nightmare, but it is a pesky invader in my flower beds.
However, with all my healthy eating, I ran across nutritional information that reveals Pigweed as nutrient dense comparable to spinach and other greens.
I was surprised at the comparison and thrilled because we have lots of pigweed.
My usual recipe for a green smoothie is:
- 8 oz almond milk
- 8 oz of water
- 2-3 big hand fulls of kale/spinach stems (or pigweed)…(or a combination of all) fill to top of blender.
- Blend the greens until they are liquified. A few seconds.
Then add to blender:
- 1 banana
- 1/2 an apple
- 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup frozen mangos
- 1/4 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 Tbs fresh ginger peeled & coarsely chopped
Coarsely blend for 30 seconds. Then blend on high for 30 seconds or until smooth.