Tomato Cages to Swanky Holiday Decor

Today I decorated our front door with simple garland, lights, wreaths and tomato cages. I got resourceful. Although our tiny, sweet tomatoes are still producing fruit, I borrowed their strong support system for holiday decor.

I became reacquainted with the device that heats to high temperatures and turns a solid stick into fingerprint vanishing goo. Yes, I used my glue gun for the first time in years. Really years.

Here’s the result.

Tomato Cage Holiday Decor

Need some big Christmas cheer? Turn tomato cages upside down and wire the pokey parts that usually secure the cage in the dirt together. Mine were already done, but I know you can do it.

Tomato Cage Holiday Decor

I used a roll of paper mesh from Paul Michael Company in Lake Village. The shiny abaca, poly mesh, or many other options would work as well.

I started wrapping the paper mesh around the cone and gluing in strategic spots to secure the mesh to the cone as I worked my way down. It’s okay to piece it at the end.

At the bottom I left about a 2″ overlap and then glued the ends up into the cage so that the bottom looked neat. This part didn’t matter because I placed wreaths at the base.

Supplies:

• Tomato Cages
  • Roll of Paper Mesh, Abaca or other material
  • Scissors
  • Glue Gun
  • Wire & Wire Cutters

Tomato Cage Holiday Decor

What do you think? Feel free to pin it to Pinterest from the link below.

8 comments

1. Christine Johnbrier says:

What a great idea Kellee! I could also see covering them in a green fabric and decorating them like Christmas trees to put by the fireplace (or anywhere else for that matter!)

• Delta Moxie says:

Hi, Christine! Thanks! You got that right…the ideas are limitless and they make a big impact. Also, I like the fact that I can use them again for my tomatoes. Thanks for your comment!

2. Margo says:

You are so darn clever, and they look awesome too! You mean to tell me you’re going to take them apart after all that work and use them for tomatoes again? I’d save them till next year and just buy new tomato cages for the tomatoes!

• Delta Moxie says:

Thanks, Margo! Reduce. Reuse. Recycle! They were super easy to make. We’ll see. I tell ya, the hardest part of decorating the front door area was getting the lights to work. They drive me insane.

3. Katharine Trauger says:

Really cute idea! Do you think wrapping them with pine boughs, which we have lots of, free, would work? I’m thinking it would, if I didn’t just go nuts trying to get unstuck from the sap! 🙂

• Delta Moxie says:

Katharine, I absolutely love that idea! And you wouldn’t need the glue gun…maybe just some floral wire. Pine boughs would be fabulous! It will be worth dealing with the sap! I want to see a photo when completed. Thanks so much for sharing! Love it!

Comments are closed.